Look at this four drawer chest a friend gave me for free.  I have to admit I did not see the top until I went to pick it up.  Upon first seeing it, it took my breath away.   I thought oh no that is really ugly and carved deep into the top of this chest.  I smiled and thanked her and off we went.  I love a challenge as much as the next girl, but this one was going to push it.  I know I wanted some texture on the piece, but to cover the carved Koi fish it was going to take a ton of wood filler.  I filled, sanded and filled again until they were not visible unless you knew what you were looking for.


Next I mixed Dixie Belle Sea Spray with a combination of Dixie Belle Fluff and Pure Ocean and covered the whole chest so it would have a visible texture.  I let it dry for 24 hours and then the magic started to happen.  I layedered on Dixe Belle Paint in Antebellum Blue.  I would spray it down with my continuoius misting spray bottle and wipe it back.  I did this multiple times so that it had almost a translucent effect that you could still see the Fluff/Pure Ocean from the first layer.  Next I layered on Dixie Belle Paint in Bunker Hill Blue, a color close to navy, to darken up the outer and lower edges.  It looked like a hot mess.


Once I got the colors the way I liked I waxed it with Dixie Belle's Best Dang Waxes.  First I gave the whole piece a coat in clear, then I did the outer edges in black and then brown.  It really gave it an authentic aged feel.  I am absolutely in love with this piece now, maybe because I know how it started out?  I love the blues and greens and think it would be an awesome piece in a beach house or anywhere you want a dreamy blue/green chest.  I am going to be selling her soon in my antique booth at Queen of Hearts in Alpharetta GA.  If you would like more info or the products that I used in this piece I will link them in my Etsy store.  Thanks for following along.  What do you think?  I would love to know.


 



Comments

Popular Posts