Homemade Kettle Corn yummy!!!

Figuring out how to make Kettle Corn at home has been a life changing experience for me. If you have never had it, it is a sweet and salty combo of deliciousness. I once jumped out of a moving car when I saw they were making it at my Home Depot. My best friend nearly burned down the house when her husband preheated the oven with a bag of kettle corn hidden in there for lack of her ability to share it. At fairs they have a giant kettle that they make the stuff in and it looks incredibly intimidating. All you need is a Whirly Popper, or the knock off version that allows you to crank the handle and stir the popcorn while it's cooking. Mine looks pretty disgusting, but it's just a patina I assure you. You will also need granulated sugar, cooking oil, and good quality popcorn (spring for the Orville Redenbocker it's worth it). Place 1/3 cup of cooking oil, 1/3cup of sugar, and 1/3 cup of popcorn into the popper, close the top and turn on the heat to medium high. If you want your popcorn a fun color like my blue popcorn shown in the picture, just add a couple of drops of liquid food coloring now before you start heating. Have a cooking sheet and your salt shaker ready for your popcorn. Keep cranking the handle while you hear the colonels start to pop and pull it off the heat as soon as you hear it start to slow down. Carefully dump your popcorn onto the baking sheet and use a spatula to spread it out and start shaking some salt onto the popcorn. It is very hot and sticky now and the salt will stick to it now. Go ahead and try it, I promise it is just as good as the stuff you pay $6.00 a bag for at the fair. Let me know what you think!

Comments

Popular Posts